Each time troubleshooting Wi-fi Connectivity or a buyer is complaining about dropped connection points at all times bear in mind these things …
1. Change the Channel (Auto isn’t your pal when troubleshooting)
- For 802.11n routers we like to make use of channels 1,three,6,9
- This one is essential, however typically neglected, one of many first issues that ought to be carried out if a buyer is complaining about dropped sign or intermittent wi-fi connectivity shall be set to a static channel.
2. If connecting third celebration units that aren’t computer systems, use a WPA key that doesn’t embody particular characters to make sure compatibility. Whereas all units ought to have the ability to determine these enjoyable & (* & * $ # @ (characters generally they can’t go together with Alpha Numeric and Higher Case / Decrease Case for max interoperability.
three. If you wish to obtain 802.11n speeds you NEED to make use of WPA2-AES often known as WPA2 Private on our new routers. WPA2 and WPA2 Private are the one safety varieties that may help 802.11n speeds
- Many purchasers that decision us and complain about Sluggish Web name as a result of they’ve an outdated safety getting used on their community that’s truly slowing down their Broadband. Fast and basic math says if a buyer is paying for 20 megabits of bandwidth, however they’re utilizing WEP they aren’t going to be completely happy. Keep in mind at all times attempt to use WPA2 Private with 802.11n routers, if they’ve units which can be older advocate an improve to their adapter for those who can (LTR, LTR, LTR) and if not inform them concerning the drawbacks of utilizing older safety.
- Additionally by default bear in mind most routers are setup to do WPA / WPA2 blended mode to make sure most compatibility. Whereas compatibility is sweet it’s not a pal of velocity. Don’t be afraid to vary to a pure WPA2 configuration if the client is utilizing newer gear of their community.
four. If a buyer is complaining about intermittent connection or has one machine that’s having issues connecting to the community … Guarantee that the client has the newest drivers for his or her adapter. Brokers like to blame the router and replace the firmware … However the adapter software program is equally necessary, and sometimes neglected (Keep in mind Atheros ?? Not our difficulty, however brought on by BAD DRIVERS for the adapter).
- Additionally since on our latest routers you cannot manually replace the firmware anymore it’s much more necessary to correctly troubleshoot the problem and give attention to all potential areas of concern.
5. Guarantee that the router is within the open not buried underneath a desk or underneath a pile of laundry in your basement. Wi-fi makes use of radio waves to speak, and your router is just like the radio antenna. So the upper up your antenna is the higher your sign and vary shall be. Additionally a key factor to recollect right here most clients will put their good new router proper close to an exterior wall of their house. So half of their tremendous highly effective sign is being misplaced out of their yard and even worse to their neighbor's home. It’s at all times good to recommend buyer place the router as near the middle of their house as potential. This isn’t going to be potential, however as a technician it’s good to teach the client concerning the significance of placement.